Confession- I’ve never actually made a grilled cheese sandwich before. I know. I know. You can now pick your jaw up off the floor. I just… never saw a need to. I like grilled cheese sandwiches, don’t get me wrong, but I never really had a craving for one. (Except for when I was an RA in college and the dining hall that connected to my residence hall had grilled cheese sandwiches ALL THE TIME, seriously every day, and they were amazing and I ended up eating my body weight in those things by the time I moved off campus. So many grilled cheese cravings that year!)
Well a few months ago I was really craving a grilled cheese, but as a 26 year-old I didn’t feel like that would be good enough for a grown-up meal. (I now realize that there is no such thing as a grown-up meal, as I just recently willingly had peanut butter and crackers for lunch every day for a week. Anyway, I’m getting off topic.) So I wanted grilled cheese, but fancy grilled cheese. After a bit of searching online, I found a recipe and made this!
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1-1/4 cup cooked shredded chicken, warm
- 5 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon mayo (optional)
- 2 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, room temperature, grated
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Make a sandwich with the filling (put it on the non-buttered side of the bread) and cook in the pan until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
I ended up making a big batch with a few alterations (the original recipe is just for making one sandwich) and I had these sandwiches for dinner for almost an entire week straight. They. Were. That. Good. I swear that I have a picture of it somewhere… but I can’t find it at the moment. Just trust me and add this to your dinner menu for the week. You won’t be disappointed!